Hiking in Apulia, from Alberobello to Gargano
Day 1 Welcome to Bari
Depending on your arrival time, after you check-in to the hotel, you can visit the historic center of Bari at leisure. Stroll through the cobbled streets and discover architectural beauties like the Basilica of San Nicola, the Cathedral of Santa Sabine and the Petruzzeli Theatre, the fourth largest Italian theatre. For those who arrive early today, we will provide a little guidebook to the city (to print at home). Today you meet your guide and group at the hotel for an official welcome and briefing about your programme for the week. Dinner and overnight at the hotel.
Airport to the hotel: 25 minutes by train or taxi
Meals not included
Day 2 Alberobello - Route pour le Gargano
After breakfast we journey to Alberobello, the village of 'trulli'. These small constructions with conical roofs served as temporary or permanent housing for workers. Alberobello is a recognised World Heritage of Humanity site thanks to the respect maintained for the originality of the buildings here. After a delicious lunch featuring local specialties, we leave for the Gargano National Park
Private transfer from Bari to Alberobello: 1 hour
Private transfer from Alberobello to Gargano: 3 hours
Accommodation: Hotel 3*
Day 3 Vieste - Masseria Sgarazza
Enjoy some free time to visit Vieste, the pearl of Gargano. This village is one of the most beautiful in the region; the narrow streets are an ideal place for a passeggiata or stroll. Built out of bright white limestone, Vieste has beautiful white sand beaches and is a gateway to Gargano National Park. Visit the famous Pizzomunno, an impressive monolith which stands on the beach. According to legend, it is the petrified body of a young fisherman who turned to stone because of the pain caused by losing the love his life. From Vieste, we go for a 3 day hike. We walk in the hills, surrounded by vineyards, olive groves and fig trees. In the evenings, we stay in a masseria, a local family-run farm where we discover the excellent products...
4 hours of hiking
Elevation: +550 / -200
Day 4 Masseria Sgarazza - Umbra Forest - Baia delle Zagare
Today we will continue our trip in the hill of Gargano, crossing green pasture where we can see the Padolica cow, well known for the caccio cavalo cheese.
Then, we will continue our journey through the Foresta Umbra, a natural reserve protected from the peninsula.
As we arrived near the seaside, we can admire the paradisiac coves, overhung by this blinding white cliff.
A day discovering varied landscapes of Gargano promontory.
Housing in a lovely accommodation
5h of hiking
Elevation: +500m / -500m
Accommodation: Seaside BnB
Day 5 Monte Sant'Angelo - Panoramic path
Today we will discover Monte Sant'Angelo, an immaculate white village and also the highest village of Gargano, perched at an altitude of 800m.
It is via the most antic path of Gargano, going through the sanctuary of San Michele, the oldest sanctuary of West Europe inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage list, that we will reach this beautiful village.
It is a very representative path of the Gargano landscape, completely immersed in nature.
Return to Mattinata by public bus
Free time for a walk in the village or a swim at the beach
4h30 of hiking
Elevation: +500m / -500m
Transfer by private bus from Monte Sant'Angelo to Mattinata
Accommodation: Seaside BnB
Day 6 Monte Saraceno - Transfert Bari
From our accommodation, we being a beautiful coastal walk along an old path. Today we discover a Daunian necropolis from XI century BC, it is found on monte Saraceno overlooking the sea. Get ready for breathtaking views of the entire coast and Mattinata's plains, surrounded by a sea of olive trees. Return to Bari by private minibus.
3 hours of hiking
Elevation: +300 / -300
Private transfer from Mattinata to Bari
Day 7 Bari
After breakfast the group seperates. Transfer to the airport by train for your flights.
If your flight times enable so, today you can visit the beautiful historic centre of Bari. Sroll through the streets, discover the famous and delicious orecchiette pasta and visit the Basilica San Nicola, the Swabian castle and or Sainte Sabine Cathedral ... If you are feeling brave, you can get up early and enjoy a typical Bari breakfast of raw sea urchins and beer!
Train to the airport: 25 minutes
Dates & prices
Departures for English-speaking groups:
No departure for now
Departures for French-speaking groups:
|From||To||Price per person||Guaranteed||Booking|
Trip code: BIPOUIL
- Transfers as detailed in itinerary
- Accommodation and full-board as detailed in itinerary
- Tourist taxes
- A guided tour of Alberobello
- Accompaniment by a qualified expert guide
- Luggage transportation when trekking
- Your international flights
- Airport transfers (train 5€ or taxi 25€)
- Drinks, tips and personal expenses
- Dinner and lunch Day 1 and Day 7
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Changes to travel contract
Budget & exchange
- Sturdy hiking boots, good quality necessary, choose high rise boots to protect your ankles which non-slip 'vibram' soles
- Walking trousers
- T-shirts (sports tops, fast-drying, technical materials)
- A quality rain coat, breathable with sealed seams (Nikwax / Gore-tex...)
- A warm layer, windproof
- A sunhat / cap
- Your swimsuit and a fast-drying towel
- Your personal toiletries
- A towel
- Sunglasses (quality)
- Sun cream (face and lips)
- A head torch and spare batteries
- Water bottle(s) min. 1.5L, light, refillable and isothermal
- Casual shoes for the evenings and for exploring towns/villages
- Toilet paper and a lighter
- Anti bacterial hand gel
- A tupperware box and cutlery for picnics
- Hiking poles
- A compass
- A small backpack 35-40 litres with a waist strap to carry with you each day containing your camera, water, your lunch, swimming stuff, a spare jumper etc...
- A large marine style bag or rucksack containing the rest of your belongings
- An anti-theft pouch to wear around your neck or waist containing your important documents
Health information & recommendations
- Avoid dropping litter - use bins or carry your rubbish with you.
- Use drinking water sparingly - avoid wasting water, take showers not baths, report leaks, etc..
- Support the preservation of cultural sites - resist the temptation to touch statues, moves stones etc..
- Exchanges are prefarable to donations - generations gifts can destabalize the local economic balance.
- When walking, be aware of fragile ecosystems, observe wildlife from a distance, stick to trails, limit trampling and do not steal from the nature - resist the temptation to pick flowers, collect fossils or stones...
- Some hotels have air conditioning - to avoid excessive energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, please use sparingly and remember to cut the aircon when you are not in the room.